EMCS secures EU funds to cover 80% of the costs for this project (Eur124,000), the other 20% (Eur31,000) were covered by the parish church and the generosity of its parishioners.

The church that dominates the Naxxar main square is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, it was built in 1630 and design by Tommaso Dingli.

The restoration project focused on the clean-up of the facade, the dome and the belfries as well as some other stonework.

Archpriest David Gauci explained that some of the stonework on the upper part had to be changed since it had deteriorated as a result of exposure to the elements and air pollution.

Parliamentary Secretary Chris Bonett stated that this is a perfect example of utilising EU funds in a tangible way. He explained that the restoration of several churches through EU funds together with the agreement between the Government and the Curia Foundation has been very fruitful in safeguarding, preserving and promoting Maltese heritage.

Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Galea Curmi added that during the two years of the pandemic, the Church continued to work on its conservation and restoration projects in a number of parishes and churches. The Church is committed to safeguard its Catholic cultural heritage which recalls the ancient history of the Maltese people.

Maltese Archdiocese Administrative Secretary Michael Pace Ross said the work on the Naxxar Church is part of the restoration programme on churches and chapels and the conservation of works of art launched three years ago and that originally included 15 different projects.

edit size
Parliamentary Secretary for European Funds Chris Bonett and Auxiliary  Bishop Joseph Galea Curmi inaugurate the restoration work carried out at the Naxxar Parish Church
Naxxar inauguration1